- March 1, 2021
Omiš is a town and port in the Dalmatia region of Croatia and is a municipality in the… Read More
Marina is an old fishermen village and a small harbor in the gulf of Trogir. It represents the perfect combination of sun, sea, stone and salt, a place with a tradition and pervasive urban way of life. The little port has 140 berths and the place frequently visited by boaters, and is suitable for all types of water sports like sailing, diving or fishing.
The proximity of the ancient Trogir and picturesque Primosten provides a good entertainment and many cultural events. The settlement was planned in the XVI. Century. Between the 1495 and the 1500 Trogir’s bishops decided to built on a small island in the bay a tower; repaired during the Candian war in 1657 and 1717; reconstructed in 1971/72.
The church of St. John situated in the centre of the village has element of Gothic and Renaissance. In the field near the village it stands the Gothic church of St. Luke with the coat-of-arms of the Sobota family.
At only 3 km from Marina there is a cave of a depth of about 60 m and width of 10 m with the chapel of St. Joseph. In the early Christian era the cave was the residence of hermits who have left graffiti and other signs. Thus, at one altar, which relies on stalactite depicting human heads from the Roman period, you can see the carved figure of Christ and Mary from the Byzantine period and an inscription about a chaplain Antony dating from the 6th century.
On the hill above called Drid there is the Church of Our Lady of the Snows, where, according to legend, was snowing 05.08. This church was built on the foundations of the church which was there already in the 6th century. In Marina there are also the church of St. James (1594), St. John (built probably in the same time as the tower (1495) or not too much later) and at the entrance to St. Marina, from the 14th century.
In the settlement called Pozarac, the medieval Church of Our Lady of Angels, in Poljica the church of St. Luke, most likely built in the second half of the 13th or the 14th century as the chapel of the family Moretti, while in Vrsine the church of St. Joseph dated 1981, in Svinca the medieval church of St. Jure, in Vinisce, consecrated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, with the old church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Orihovica built by Benedictines in 1272, and in Blizna the Church of St. Michael from 1406.
It should also be noted that on top of the hill Bilo, above the village Marina there are the remains of bunkers and shelters from World War II, used by the German army.
It has 4595 inhabitants and has 4 tourist places: Marina, Sevid, Vinišće and Poljica and 11 other small villages: Pozorac (137 inhabitants), Gustirna (349 inhabitants), EVI (42 people), Gustirna (349 inhabitants), Dograde (194 inhabitants), Vrsine (332 inhabitants), Vinovac (75 people), Mitlo (75 people) , Rastovac (89 people), Blitna Lower (258 inhabitants), Blizna Gornja (93 people), lead (112 inhabitants)