- March 1, 2021
Omiš is a town and port in the Dalmatia region of Croatia and is a municipality in the… Read More
Seget Donji (lower Seget), at only 2 km from Trogir, is the largest place in the county of Seget. It was founded in 1564 when the executive magistrate of Trogir issued to Jakov Rotondo the permit to build a tower, where the inhabitants could protect themselves in case of threat of war. Seget is just one of fortress built around Trogir (seven castles east – today Kaštela, and two west) in the 15th and 16th centuries . Later, around this tower, the village was fortified and surrounded by walls and four towers in order to protect the village from Turkish invasion. The castle, the today center of the village, has 3 lengthwise and 2 diagonal stone-paved streets. Inside the castle there is the parish church of Saint Mary of Rosary built in XVIII century.
After the wake of of Turkish threat, during the 18th century Seget began to expand beyond its northern walls, and in the same period in the immediate hinterland of the place was formed Seget Gornji (upper Seget), the second of the two west castles built around Trogir.
In Seget Gornji, around the church of St. Vitus (XII-XIII. C.), there are several medieval plaques and tombstones. The church was made in Romanic style, the year of its building is unknown. In the field between Seget and Trogir it stands the renaissance square tower (from 1516) of the Trogir family Statilić and the church of Our Lady of Snow from the 14th century. On the hill Sutlija, once part of the Illyrian fortication, at 2 km from Seget, there are quarries from where since the Roman times to the present day it is taken out the white stone. On the same hill it stands the medieval church of St. Elijah whose year of construction is unknown as well. Unill the XIX century, the surrounding area was used as a cemetery. Thunderstruck ruined the church several times, so adaptation was required.
Among other interesting historical content around Seget there is the Napoleon road which was built during the French rule in these areas in the early 19th century, which has recently again in the function as a health path for tourists and recreationists.
In addition to the Upper and Lower Seget the municipality includes the villagice Bristivica, Ljubitovica and Prapatnica in the hinterland and Seget Vranjica by the sea.
Seget Vranjica is situated on a small peninsula, 5 km west of UNESCO city Trogir. It is 8 km far from the airport Split-Kaštela, and 30 km far from Split. Once a fishermen small town, today it is a peaceful tourist resort with a rich offer of quality accommodation.
The village Bristivica, under the name Bristica was firstly mentioned in XIII century. It was completely abandoned during Turkish attacks, but it was again inhabited by people coming from the Bosnia and Herzegovina. The old parish church was built in XIV century, but later was ruined and again adapted. However, after the fire in 1901 there was built a new church, the church of St. John the Baptist, surrounded by a cemetery where are some graves from ancient times.
The village of Ljubitovica situated at 20 km far from the center of this county towards hinterland, was firstly mentioned in the documents in 1272., when when the king Ladislav gave it to the Trogir nobleman Marin Amblaževu Crnotina, and two years before that neighboring village Prapatnica. The church of Saint Katharina it is already mentioned in the documents of 1740. The village is known because of the cultivation of garlic. Its inhabitants founded an association of garlic producers named “Šarac”, and produce every year around 20 tons of it.
Prapatnica is situated at 15 km far from the center towards hinterland. The village is known by its church of St. Thomas Apostle built in 1891 on the basis of the old one from which only apse remained. Big altar in the apse is made of marble and contains the picture of St. Mary’s Assumption (XIX century). In the aisle are two wooden altars. One altar is St. Mary of Health with the picture of local worker full of silver gifts. The second one is St. Thomas Apostle with the Priest’s picture, homework (XVIII century). In the niche is the statue of St. Roch and there is also statue of St. Anthony, and an old crucifix. The church was rebuilt in 1963, then again thoroughly in 1998. The new altar with the picture of St. Mary’s Assumption was built in 2000. In front of the church a statue of Our Lady of Peace as a memorial of fallen Croatian defenders. North of the church a mortuary was built. The statue of arch-bishop Aloysius Stepinac stands in front of the church of St. Thomas, on the crossroad towards Šibenik and Split, and towards the village Prgomet and the new highway.